Electrical safety in the workplace

Employees across industry lines are regularly exposed to electrical hazards. For example, while wall sockets are common in every workplace, even the small amount of electricity they contain has enough power to cause equipment damage and severe electrocutions. You also need to consider how overhead power lines, handheld equipment and wet conditions can expose you to electrical hazards.

Any contact with exposed circuitry or energised appliances can interfere with the normal electrical signals in your body and lead to shocks and burns. And, if a shock occurs while you’re on an elevated surface, muscle contractions or a startled reaction can lead to a dangerous fall.

Keep these simple tips in mind to stay safe around electricity in the workplace:

•        Only use equipment that appears to be in good working condition and meets HSE standards.

•        Check electrical cables for damage before you plug them in. Even slightly damaged cables can cause electrocutions and fires.

•        Check the wattage of appliances before plugging them into sockets to avoid overloads.

•        Disconnect appliances from sockets by pulling on the plastic plug and not the cable.

•        Don’t use sockets that feel warm, as it could be a sign of faulty wiring. Instead, have the socket checked by a certified electrician.

•        Never use extension cables as permanent wiring.

•        Place appliances that generate light or heat away from any flammable materials.

Don’t forget that we can provide insurance for a whole host of businesses! For a competitive quote on your business cover, please feel free to get in touch with us, call us on 01782 607 709 or fill in our online quote form.