Driving in the EU this Summer?

Some useful facts

Many countries will require you to have ID for yourself & your vehicle, the following documents will help :

  • Driving licence ( with paper counterpart if photo licence)
  •  Passport
  • Vehicle registration document (original )( Company car? Letter of authority to use the vehicle)
  • Motor insurance certificate

Will you have any children in the car? – each country has different rules, for example in France children under 10 are not permitted in front seats.

Drink driving limits and penalties also vary, including imprisonment! From November 2012 there will be a penalty of 11 euros for not carrying a breatherlyser kit in France!!

Speed trap detectors – use is illegal in most EU counties as is the satnav function that indicates permanent speed cameras.

Some other requirement examples:

  • GB sticker or Euroflag number plate – essential
  • High visibility jacket – 2 in France and 1 for each passenger in Spain, you’ll also need one in Italy
  • Warning triangle – another essential in most countries, 2 recommended in Spain
  • Headlight converter – required across the continent to make sure you don’t dazzle while driving on the right hand side
  • Spare bulb set – needed in France & Spain, but recommended for elsewhere

The EU emergency number from mobiles is 112 and can be dialed in any EU country

This is by no means an exhaustive list of what you need to know before you drive in Europe. For further information visit the AA website by clicking here.